Cross-crawl is an exercise involving movement of opposite arms and legs to improve integration. It helps keep our energies crossing over the left and right hemispheres in our brain. The fluidity of our cross-crawl is very important. If our energies are crossing over smoothly we keep our vitality up, we are able to be integrated, more coordinated and think clearly.
We first learn to cross over our energies when we first learn to crawl and then walk. The nervous system learnt to organize and coordinate the movements. This learned behavior pattern relates to cerebral connections that affect other fields of activity, such as language, reading, hand-to-eye coordination. If the fluidity of our energies crossing over or our nerual connections are impaired it can present as:
- Learning disabilities
- Lack of coordination
- Inability or difficult to read
- No concept of balance
- Seeing or saying words backwards
- Dropping objects
- Tripping a lot
Doing cross-crawl helps re-educate your energies and nervous system. The more a person needs cross -crawl, the more difficult it will be to perform. Great for an energy boost
How to do it:
- Tap K-27’s – see picture. If you want more information see the previous post all about K-27’s
- Cross-crawl – this is like marching. Lift left leg with knee bent whilst lifting right arm with elbow bent. Lower back down and repeat with right leg and left arm.
- Repeat this motion for 30-60 secs.
- While doing the marching motion bring arm across the center of your body and try and touch elbow to knee.
By touching the right elbow to the left knee and then the left elbow to the right knee, large areas of both brain hemispheres are activated at the same time
Donna Eden offers a variation if marching is difficult. You can do it sitting down in a chair. Lift left leg and touch knee with right hand, lower leg. Then lift right knee and touch knee with left hand.
Another option, you can do cross-crawl lying down or have someone hold your limbs and move them in a marching motion for you.
If you feel drained, really un-coordinated, confused or exhausted after doing cross-crawl, you can do homolateral cross-crawl. Sometimes our energies are not crossing over so they run up and down one side and by doing cross-crawl this goes against the current of our energy flow.
How to do it:
- Tap K-27’s.
- Do homolateral cross-crawl 12 times – lift right leg with knee bent while raising right arm with elbow bent, then lift left leg while raising left arm
- Do cross-crawl – as explained above
- Repeat homolateral cross-crawl
- Repeat cross-crawl
- Repeat this sequence 3 times
- Finish by tapping K-27’s
ICPKP. Professional Kinesiology Practitioner Manual. 2010
Eden, D & Feinstein, D. (2008). Energy Medicine for Women: aligning your body’s energies to boost your health and vitality. Penguin: New York.